 General / 48908
48907  |  48909
Subject:
The most valuable Lego sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:31:39 GMT

In my upcoming Lego CD I mention what I consider to be the most valuable Lego
sets.  Until recently most AFOLs probably thought that the #398 USS
Constellation was the most valuable Lego set.

Well there are a few sets that are more valuable (especially since the
re-release of the USS Constellation last year).  At the top of the list I am
putting the following 2 sets (which are also probably the very rarest sets).

They are both USA sets from 1961, the infamous early version of the #725 Town
Plan and the early version of the #717 Junior Constructor shown here in the
1961-62 USA Samsonite Lego catalog, and the 1962 Canadian Samsonite Lego
catalog:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

I was discussing the early #725 set earlier this week when a MISB later version
of #725 came to light.  There I mentioned that the earlier version, which I
believe was never released for sale by Samsonite in USA/Canada (possibly only
exists in the Vault in Billund?).  Because this early #725 was identical to the
released version of Town Plan #810 for continental Europe (but ironically never
sold in Germany or Austria) it depresses the value of the (prototype?) early
#725 Town Plan.  But I still estimate a MISB early #725 at $2500!

The early #717 Junior Constructor also shown on the website, was probably also
never sold by Samsonite in the USA/Canada (and therefore only found in the
Billund Vault?).  But, since it had no European set counterpart, I give the
value on this set as even more than the early #725 Town Plan set (even though
the #725 is a slightly larger set with lots of specialty pieces).  I estimate
that a (prototype?) MISB early #717 Junior Constructor set at $4000, making
it...... The King of Lego Sets.

If anyone has any other set that they feel is "The King", please let me know.

Comments most welcome!

Gary Istok