 General / 48765
Re: LUG creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:27:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Patrick Bégin wrote:
Any How-to for creating a LUG ?

Where do you meet ?

Do you charge something ?

What are the usual/normal expense a LUG normally has ?

What are the services you provide to users (t-shirts, containers, special
bricks, literatures, etc) ?

Any suggestions for creating a name (rules, things to do, not to do) ?

Any suggestions for creating a logo (rules, things to do, not to do) ?

What are the activities you do when you meet ?

I guess it varies, but how many U is there in a LUG (in a city of half a million
people) ?

Any legal stuff to be concerned (Lego logo and names, Bricklink, Lugnet, etc...
names) ?

Do you bother creating a legal structure (president, secretary, etc...) ?

How do you advertise your presence ?

What about landing an interview on the local TV station, what material (image,
movies, DVD from Brickfest, DVD from Brickfilms) could/should I use ?

What are the services available to a LUG (web hosting, from Lego, etc...) ?

What do you recommend I do first if I want to create one LUG in my city (Quebec
City, Canada) ?

Feel free to add anything relevant, many thanks.

The first couple of meetings for BAYLUG (long before it was BAYLUG) took place
at a Round Table Pizza restraunt. We had about 5 guys show up that brought some
MOCs. This worked well as the resraunts have a back room that you can reserve
for groups. Once you've had a few meetings, most groups move to a more private
location, such as someone's home, or a room at a comunity center or library.

At a minimum I would say that people should bring some MOCs, other common events
are open buy, sale and trade, and sometimes a building area for kids/adults. Or
you can even organize a LEGO game or two.

We just now are forming a new LUG in San Diego, but many of the members have
already met through the LA (LUGOLA) list, so we have our meetings at peoples
homes. The advantage is that it travels so that it is hopefully close for
everybody at some point. The disadvantage is that it's not a regular time and
place to count on. So far we've used the LUGOLA list on lugnet, but we should
form our own.

The name could be anything, but most clubs have LUG somewhere in the name.

As for structure, unless you NEED to charge money, you really don't need
anything more then someone to schedual the meetings, at least untill you grow
some.

Mat

Mat