 General / 48060
Re: Lego WIndows Complaint (still)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:33:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

And I pity any town (or train) folks who want to build their own downtown, with
skyscrapers.  The 1x4x5 windows make for a rather awkward looking skyscraper.
The results usually don't look too realistic.

In fact I am probably one of the few AFOLs that can build anything resembling a
decent skyscraper (with my "excessive" collection of classic Lego windows).

While I agree that more types of windows are a good thing, I don't think they
are absolutely necessary for constructing decent skyscrapers. I use black bricks
for the windows on many of my skyscrapers. The results aren't perfect, but I
find them quite acceptable. For the repetative upper floors, I don't make
interiors and personally I don't like the look of clear panes that allow you to
see straight through the building. On the street level portion I tend to use
actual windows since they interface better with the surrounding sidewalk detail
and pedestrians.

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/3214
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/3202

Many of the Legoland skyscrapers use similar window methods. The main drawback
is that bricks don't reflect light as nicely as transparent windows. But then
again, most stonework isn't brick-plastic-shiny either. I suppose if I really
had it my way I'd use various 1x2xN trans-black panels with bricks behind them -
but quantities and price are major issues.

As far as the 1x4x5 windows go, I'm nearly finished working on a trans-black
glass skyscraper and the results are stunning. In this case, the reflection
qualities are critical.

Spencer