 General / 48054
48053  |  48055
Subject:
Lego WIndows Complaint (still)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:11:26 GMT

The single biggest complaint I have about TLG is that unlike 40 years ago, today
there is no "system" for windows.

Yes they have 2x2 windows in white, 1x4x5 windows in black, and other sizes in
other colors currently available.  But there is no single "system" like they had
from 1957-72 (although some of these were still available as late as 1987), when
there were 9 different window varieties, ALL of them complementary to each
other, and ALL were available in red and white at the same time.

If a non-Lego person were to come up to me today and say that they would like to
build a model of their own house, I would tell them "good luck, cuz you sure
can't build it out of Lego".

All the different Lego windows available today are hardly complementary to each
other.  The closest one could come is the 1x2x2 and 1x4x5, but they are nearly
impossible to get in the same colors (1980 was the last time a 1x2x2 window was
produced in either gray or black, 1982 was the last year a 1x4x5 was produced in
yellow).

And I pity any town (or train) folks who want to build their own downtown, with
skyscrapers.  The 1x4x5 windows make for a rather awkward looking skyscraper.
The results usually don't look too realistic.

In fact I am probably one of the few AFOLs that can build anything resembling a
decent skyscraper (with my "excessive" collection of classic Lego windows).

I know I was whinning about this 3 years ago, but even though TLG has given the
AFOL community a lot, they still haven't addressed the "window" issue.

(back off my high horse now)  :-)

Gary Istok