 General / 47979
Re: New Knight's Kingdom Prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:25:14 GMT

Before you go running off on tangents, let's get one thing straight, Lego was in
the red in those years, not because of poor sales for Lego sets, but for poor
sales in their other ventures, clothing, pens, etc.

Now a different spin I would like to put on this conversation is why is Lego
copying Mega Blok?!?

Mega Blok beat them to the punch for extreme sets, mecha and now, cool castle
sets.  I must say, Lego needs more than this to get back my dollars for castle
line.  I agree, $9 for 2 minifigs and a horse is pure insanity.  I can buy a tin
box of Mega Blok and get 6 guys and misc pieces for $4.  I can build a huge army
for a fraction of what it costs in Lego.  Worst yet, before the complaints come,
their quality has improved a lot and their play value is tremendously better.
Who is going to argue that a child doesn't like a cool, giant dragon versus a
fake horse on wheels that you shoot at each other?

To go another step, Lego is even copying their box art!  Mega Blok outlines all
of the mini's on the cover and color code them to being good or bad.  If my eyes
don't deceive me, the new castle sets are doing the same thing.

So, who is really the 'clone brick' now?  They certainly have much better price
points, so, if they can do it, why can't Lego?  My local Target has a larger
Mega Blok section then Lego now.  That is really sad, but, they are selling more
because Lego is getting to expensive.