 General / 47952
Re: A request for everyone, regarding a pet peeve
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 20:59:30 GMT

Are you guys referring to the web interface or NNTP?
I have not personally seen this problem via the website, but I have noticed
that certain settings on my nntp will keep or NOT keep a certain number of
messages in a newsgroup.

For instance, my nntp will keep the last 300 messages based on my settings
(in Outlook Express).  Hypothetically, if John Doe posted a message one day
and there have been more than 300 messages in that newsgroup afterwards, his
message would drop of of my nntp.  If Jane Doe replied to his message
recently, then her "re:" will show up in the list of the 300 messages but
not the original.

Please FUT to lugnet.admin.general OR admin.general.nntp

"S Ram" <sram@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HysxEK.1MAJ@lugnet.com...
Does the Lugnet news server have a bot that deletes posts every now and
then? I see a lot of reply posts that no longer have the original posts.
Besides entire threads disappearing!

Why is that so?

- Ram -

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
If someone posts a link to a new MOC, would it be possible for replies • to
include the link, too?  Maybe this is just me, but it vexes me when I • see
a "hey
that's great" post, but the praise-post doesn't indicate the item being • praised.
For that matter, there are sometimes numerous sequential posts of • praise,
none
of which contains the original link.  You have to click on a second, • third, or
fourth post to get to the praiseworthy MOC.

Thanks for listening.  Just venting.

Dave!