 General / 47557
Re: Enough about colors already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 06:29:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
From this I gather that you'd be just as happy if TLG switched LEGO's entire
range of colors to dull brown, or perhaps pink?  After all, you assert that
imagination trumps color, so why bother with those pesky blues and reds and
yellows?

Dave, thanks for your reply.
     Please calmly think about this:
     First:  Yes, imagination in my opinion DOES trump color... and shape, and
minifig realism, and so on.  Pieces + imagination = fun.  I played with green
army men who had maybe five poses, but to me, they were capable of anything when
I was playing.  I also built castles out of Lincoln Logs, cars out of wood
blocks, and cities out of dirt and twigs.  Color is nice, and helps move the
imagination along, but it's not as important (to me, anyway, and I'll admit I
might be a bit wierd here) as what I can do with the parts.
     Second, your example is perhaps a bit extreme.  LEGO has changed two colors
slightly, not replaced their entire line with hot pink.  This is why I chose
'Enough about colors already' as my subject line; people are getting carried
away with negativity, equating these changes with the end of their hobby and
sometimes more.  Isn't that a bit much?  I'm still going to have fun.  It's not
going to cause me to drop out of school, or quit my job, or take up a radically
different hobby just so I keep the injustice of this change out of my head.
I'll live, and I suspect a lot of those whining loudest will live just as well,
and continue to have fun.  Again, maybe this is just me, but I'm not following
the gloom and doom vibe, because I can still have fun.

Some people prefer to build models in a range of colors more closely
approximating their real-world conceptions of the subject matter, and other
people prefer color consistency from The Chosen Brand.  A poster-in-absentia
reminded me that one of the only benefits that LEGO has over its competitors is
quality control and color consistency.  Well, quality control has diminished in
recent years (as witnessed by an increase in the number of "Part Missing?" posts
on LUGNET), and color consistency has been wholly abandoned.  So what's left?
     FUN.  Isn't it fun to take these little plastic pieces and pretend they're
something spacey or medieval or 'real' to us in some other way?  LEGO has gone
through a number of changes over the years, but it's still a fun way to spend
your time, and I don't see where changing two greys to a different tone will
ruin that for me.
     Now, I'll admit that if my goal were to be as realistic as possible, I
might be a little discouraged at the change of two colors whose uses are
well-known and accepted.  But if I were that into modelling realistically, I'd
most likely use different media, too, since in this respect LEGO elements
introduce unrealistic things like lug-covered planes, people with missing
features, and standardized rather than organic connection points.
     Maybe I'm not as hardcore as some out there; I just can't see this ruining
my day.  The doom and gloom brigade just comes off as whiny to me.  Good luck to
you and to all who've been affected by this change.  But I think we should all
get back to the fun, and just play.

Peace and Long Life,
Tw0nst3r