 General / 47485
Re: Enough about colors already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 18:02:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tony Alexander wrote:
Regarding the recent color firestorm:

     The world does not come in exactly 256 colors.  There are not just 2 colors
of grey stone/metal/etc in the real world.  The average child's imagination can
see wood colored green, and people colored purple, and trees colored 5 shades of
orange, all with no problem.  I doubt children are tearing out their hair,
crying "Oh, the humanity!  Now my intergalactic ice cream truck or dragon's keep
will never be realistic enough!"  They just play.

     Just as the minifig is not a true representation of humanity (newer flesh
tones notwithstanding), LEGO elements can be used to approximate the real world,
but models are never perfect in color, form, or detail.  If you're so concerned
about getting the perfect color that this new color change devastates you, paint
your model.  Or build your models out of styrene, or balsa, or cardboard, or
whatever else is out there.  If you need perfection in your modeling, you're in
the wrong hobby.  This is about imagination and fun.

From this I gather that you'd be just as happy if TLG switched LEGO's entire
range of colors to dull brown, or perhaps pink?  After all, you assert that
imagination trumps color, so why bother with those pesky blues and reds and
yellows?

Some people prefer to build models in a range of colors more closely
approximating their real-world conceptions of the subject matter, and other
people prefer color consistency from The Chosen Brand.  A poster-in-absentia
reminded me that one of the only benefits that LEGO has over its competitors is
quality control and color consistency.  Well, quality control has diminished in
recent years (as witnessed by an increase in the number of "Part Missing?" posts
on LUGNET), and color consistency has been wholly abandoned.  So what's left?

I'd better start stockpiling my beloved clone brands before the LEGO Exodus
begins...

Dave!