 General / 46664
Re: Medium Blue alongside Gray in 4728 Privet Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:32:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
That makes a lot of sense to me.  I really like the combination of these
mid-tone values when they are next to the darker colors.  Like tan/brown and
this medium blue/blue (not necessarily in the car model,

Of course not.  Those color combos make much more sense for Pohatu and Gali.  :)

as another post pointed out, there was a reson for using gray, I just didn't
like the "hum" of the two values together - maybe chrome would have been
better?).

It's hard to go wrong with chrome, but the vac-metalizing process is quite
expensive.  Very few piecess seem to have been put through that process, and the
UCS Naboo Fighter shows some of the problems with doing so, especially if kids
are going to play roughly with it.  Those large chrome pieces were hard enough
to pull out of the box unscratched as it was.  It makes a certain amount of
sense for a display piece, but when dealing with for-play pieces, it probably
makes more sense to limit that process to stuff like swords and lightsaber
hilts.

About the only color I don't like is the sand red.  Something about it bugs
me

It's pink.  Why do you think Tahu had orange arms and legs, when all five of the
other Toa had chromatically matched secondary colors?  We've been conditioned to
think of pink as a girly/romancy color so much that it's almost impossible to
soften red without it looking odd.  Tahu in red/orange looks fiery.  Tahu in
red/pink looks like Cupid-bot.

and I am glad I do nt have any.

I actually would have preferred it if I could have used sand red on Neptune's
Moon Lagoon, but Yoda came with so much sand green that it wasn't economical to
even consider using sand-red.  I'm not sure the part variety would have been
there anyways.