 General / 46636
Re: Medium Blue alongside Gray in 4728 Privet Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:48:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
I do have to say that it doesn't seem to match traditional gray very well.
The car model (besides being probably the ugliest car ever produced in a
set) uses the gray and medium blue together and I think its effect is
visually jarring.  Does anyone else agree that this color combination is
unpleasant?

Most of what you're seeing in the odd color look is the fact that the blue and
grey have pretty similar color value (i.e. they're in the same range of a
light/dark scale), but they're not the same color.  Any medium value color will
look odd with light-grey (orange, lime green, tan, most "sand" colors), but
significantly lighter colors (yellow, white) or darker colors (any primary, any
"dark" color, purple, black) have a big enough gap in color value that they
don't have that same visual "hum" that this blue/grey mix has.  Of course, then
you get into the question of whether the colors clash or not (like this blue and
dark-red).