 General / 4632
Re: Bulk brick sales and Making Silver Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 06:52:11 GMT

I had a minifig vacuum metalized over a year ago.  Unfortunately, I forgot
to send a helmet and visor :(

The person who did it said they wouldn't do another, too much work.  I had
to scrape the chrome off of spots to get the minifig back together.  It
turned out OK, but not perfect.

Mike Poindexter wrote:

On a side note, I am currently investigating chroming plastic.  Most places
can only chrome metal, as they dip metal into very hot liquid chrome.  Not too
good for ABS plastic.  My search has yielded 2 companies that can do it.  The
procedure is called Vacuum Metalizing and there is is one in Los Angeles and
another in Taiwan.  Their main job is dealing with automotive and motorcycle
parts.  I am sending samples to the one in LA.  Unfortunately, I was quoted
approximately $4 per brick, so this is not really the way to go, but if you
are crazy and desperate enough...  This will at least let us know if we can
coat our bricks and still have them work as LEGO or if the coating changes the
dimensions too much.

It takes 14 days to do and I still have to ship out the sample.  I think that
by the time they come back, I will be on my honeymoon, so I will know when I
get back (end of June).  Whatever the results, I will post them here.

Mike

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/