 General / 44939
  Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

I'm curious if anybody else has taken the time to crack the DVD code on the "Biff Starling" Mars lander: https://planetary.or...pirit.html I know Jeremy Rear was working on it but haven't heard if he's had a chance to finish. And the announcement (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

Any discussion of cracking DVD codes is a violation of the DMCA. You're obviously working for the forces of 3vil. :-) James Wilson Dallas, TX (20 years ago, 16-Jan-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) to figure it out for the last hour and a half, and I'm still stuck. But I'll keep working on it! JohnG, GMLTC (20 years ago, 16-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) the (...) Yep, took me a good two hours. :) But then I also took the time to document all the steps in the solution. I admit that I _did_ peek on the hints/clues page before solving the code. I also admit that I _have_ cracked a number of (...) (20 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) Well, yeah... but only part time, until I can break away to form my own evil empire. Bwah ha ha! Good point about "cracking DVD code"... I wonder if anybody on the MER team who did the code thought about that? - Kelly (20 years ago, 23-Jan-04, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) Replying to self - is that like talking to self? Anyway, I got it! Yea!! JohnG, GMLTC (20 years ago, 23-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) I've got to find the time to do this. It's a neat code (& a great way to teach kids about cryptography). Just downloaded a letter frequency table, so maybe I'll hit it again... (...) And while they've not yet "released" the image of the (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) Yep, the latest LEGO press release on it says this one will be "more accessible" whatever that means. Easier, maybe? Hmm. I've been waiting for better resolution pictures of this one, but they better hurry up. The scientists want to take their (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)

  Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?

(...) Apparently they've got good enough images to release the next entry on Planetary Society's web site: https://planetary.or...unity.html They're right, this one is much easier. It only took me 45 minutes, and I didn't even need any clues. Now I (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.space)