 General / 45131
Re: Anybody else crack the Mars DVD code?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:54:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
I'm curious if anybody else has taken the time to crack the DVD code...

   I've got to find the time to do this. It's a neat code (& a great way to
teach kids about cryptography). Just downloaded a letter frequency table, so
maybe I'll hit it again...

There's another code on the Opportunity lander...

   And while they've not yet "released" the image of the Opportunity DVD, it's
on the MER rover site if you know where to look (you may have to cut & paste
this into one line):

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/002/1P128365104EFF0100P2205L4M1.JPG

portions are dropped out of the red band filter (generally, one of the better
ones for reading the codes on the rim), but it's there... and looks completely
different. Fun fun fun...

Yep, the latest LEGO press release on it says this one will be "more accessible"
whatever that means. Easier, maybe? Hmm.

I've been waiting for better resolution pictures of this one, but they better
hurry up. The scientists want to take their new toy off the lander on Sunday
night, which only gives us a few more days to get decent quality shots of the
thing. Although I suppose the image above and some Photoshop work with
contrasting might bring the image into focus enough to cipher it out.

- Kelly