 General / 44215
44214  |  44216
Subject:
Old Color Changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:24:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

the following is an email i got that regards a previous change to the color grey... the names and stuff have been hopefully changed enough to protect me from getting anyone mad?

don’t know if this is even relevent. but thought you all might like the read and pic...

   hey XXXXXX

it just occured to me what a prophet you are. All the sudden this afternoon i had this memory come flooding back to me of you coming out to a NELUG meeting a few months ago with multiple colors of grey from the past. Did you ever take a photo of that. Do you remember where the different hues first appeared or when?

I was going to take a picture for XXXXXX (one of the XXXXXX guys who does a ridiculously thorough job of cataloging colors & pieces), but he already knew about it. In fact... (acha!) he’s got a picture of the color on his brickshelf account:

Mine now http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Misc/greys.jpg

That clip #3 in the picture was (for some reason) seemingly ONLY used in 1x1’s with clips, and only for a few years in the mid 80’s. Later sets had matching greys.

Supposedly, that color chart that Lego gave out to the Lego community contains the “old grey” and “new grey”, but I’m not sure if it contains this “80’s freakshow grey”.

AFAIK there’s:

White, Uber Light grey (from mosaic sets), Old Grey, New Grey, Freakshow Grey (from the clips above), Old Dark Grey, New Dark Grey, Pearlescant Grey (funky milky grey), Chrome Grey (technic wheels, etc), Black

I can see if I can get the 1x1’s all together in order to show the color variants (might be a little easier to tell). Might be easier to see the difference there. (Now if only I had some of the ‘new’ grey & dark grey...

enjoy and dont flame me...

tk
Co-Curator of .Space

CEO Kane StarCrafters