 General / 44177
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:02:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Neb Okla wrote:
I wonder if people complained as bitterly when Lego came out with the modern
minifig.

People may have been just as upset about the introduction of the minifig[1] and
many other product changes over the years, but just didn't have such an
efficient means of letting TLC know that they were unhappy.  TLC should thank
their lucky stars for the online LEGO community and the feedback we provide.  We
have given them a huge amount of free market research on this and other recent
product changes that would have been prohibitively expensive to acquire in the
day of the Lincoln Log.

The interaction of LEGO enthusiasts serves a vital marketing function as well.
If not for the ideas that I have read here, my first RIS set would still be
sitting all alone in its half-opened box today, instead of being surrounded by
the pieces from several hundred other sets.

If you want the same toy your grandparents played with - go buy Lincoln
Logs.

Gee, I'd be happy if I could just get the same toy I played with last week!

What a bunch of crybabies.

The difference between Veruca Salt and those of us raising our voices about this
issue is that TLC can very easily ignore us if they choose.  Simply don't open
their web browser or e-mail programs, and don't answer the phone.  Use our
letters to feed the furnaces where they melt down the Neo-Grey ABS pellets.

Sure, not everyone here has been either civil or mature about voicing their
complaints about the product changes.  But I might also point out that the same
could be said for those who voice their complaints about our complaints.

- Chris.

[1] - For what it's worth, I think the minifig is great!  It is designed to a
scale that works very well for LEGO modeling, without breaking the bank the way
Miniland-scale modeling would.  I build almost everything to minifig scale these
days.