 General / 44077
Re: And you call yourselves fans...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:23:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Instead of posting this message to all of the related threads, I decided to
start my own...

And this isn't such a bad thing.  The original thread is now so large as to be
difficult to follow.

Ever since Jake announce the color change I've read about 100 messages whining
about how LEGO has betrayed the fans.  I say it's the opposite.  I think
everyone who's whining has betrayed LEGO.

Let me share my point of view with you... speaking only for myself.

I agree with you when you use the word 'whining'.  I would go so far as to say
some of the comments have been childish, negative or worst of all used foul
language.  That type of behavior is out of step with this environment.  This is
sometimes a problem with 'fans' and not just of LEGO.

In fact, it's one of the reasons I have always shunned the 'AFOL' label.  The
acronym contains the word 'fan'.  The word fan is derived from the word
'fanatic'.  And that word carries connotations with which I am simply not
comfortable.  Someone recently suggested to me that 'enthusiast' might be a
better description for some of us who are proponents of LEGO.  For myself, I
prefer the simple term 'builder'.  I'm a LEGO builder and happy with the
associations that brings.

However, have LUGNET posters betrayed LEGO?  No, far from it.  To betray them at
a time like this would be to sit back and do nothing.  Let me give you a
completely separate, but somewhat similar example that occured at work a while
back.

As part of a project I was working on, one of my jobs was to receive software
changes from a vendor we dealt with.  At one point, a code release confused me
since it didn't match the pattern the vendor had previously indicated they would
be using.  I could have written an email that said something like, "you idiots,
can't you guys get this right?  How stupid are you?  Fix it now or else!"

I'm sure you can imagine what type of response that might have gotten.

Instead my email read something like, "can you help me to understand why there
are files in this latest package that aren't actually part of the recent
changes?  Am I misunderstanding how you will be sending us code in the future?
If so, I should adjust our documentation to match your process.  Thanks!"

See how the second one is polite and constructive but at the same time still
puts the onus on the vendor to either explain their actions or make corrections?

Less than 1 hour later I received an equally polite but also apologetic email
from the vendor rep.  They had indeed made a mistake and would correct it on
future releases.  He thanked me for helping them to hone their release process
not only for our company but for all of the clients they deal with.

In my mind, if LEGO consumers don't attempt to express our concerns to the
company, then we are by default allowing them to carry on with what *may* be a
mistaken decision.  The key word is *may*.  This *may* be the right decision
but, based on the ire that has been seen here in the last few days, that remains
to be seen.

To take this one step further, it's easy to see why LEGO consumers aren't
betraying or doing a misservice to the company when they speak out.  The simple
fact is that the LEGO company does not design, release or sell products only to
itself.  This isn't their internal color codes we're complaining about.  This
isn't the way they organize their lunch breaks that we have a problem with.
This is something that affects the products we buy.  If the LEGO company (in
some magical world) sold products only to itself - bought every set and never
sold any to the public - then we have no obligation to help them with any
product related decision making.  But as you know, that's not the case.  We have
at least a sense of involvement born out by the fact that we buy their products.
We adults.  We kids.  We parents.  We... the general public, to whom the LEGO
company owes its existence.  That might seem a bit heady, but look carefully and
the facts bear scrutiny.  The public buys their products, not the company
itself.

While we have no rights to access internal knowledge or research, we have every
right to express discontent with new or changed products.  This is capitalism,
not religion.  We _can_ question what's happening.

Should we do it in a mature manner?  Yes, most definitely yes.  This would be a
good time for older posters on LUGNET to set an example for younger enthusiasts.
Keep the tone of postings positive.  Offer alternatives to the problem.  Present
real facts about why this decision doesn't sit well with you.  But don't just
sit back and do nothing.  It's like not voting in an election and then
complaining that the new government doesn't represent you.  If you have at least
*tried* to make your opinion known, then if the decision proves to be a bad one
at least you can say you tried to help.  Trying to help is not betraying the
company.

Why do I say this?  Well, 2 reason stick out in my mind:
1.  I, and I would assume many others, look upon LEGO as an old friend. If an
old friend told me he was changing his look, I'd support him in his decision and
not criticise him for going against tradition

But if my friend's new look was a hair color or clothing decision that was
causing her/him to lose respect at work, or was causing other friends to stop
calling her/him, then isn't it my duty as a friend to step in and put a gentle
hand on a shoulder and try to help?

It's o.k. to disagree with someone.  That someone might be a spouse, a friend, a
teacher or a company that sells toys.  It's *how* you disagree with them that
separates maturity from childishness.

2.  If you trely want to call yourself a creative modeller, you will find new
and inventive ways to incorporate these changes into you creations.

This is a very true statement.  At the end of the day it really is about how
creative you can be with the bricks you have.  Look at the models being built by
the Master Builder contestants.  It's clear they don't have access to a
tremendous range of bricks.  But they make due.

<Tongue-in-cheek humour ahead - you have been warned>

As you can see, whining get you nowhere.  In fact, all the complaining lately
has contributed to a negative atmosphere for all of us.  I say stop bellyacheing
and get back to makeing the amazing models I'm used to seeing.

But Orion.... if they get back to the models you are _used_ to seeing, won't
those be made from the old colors?  ;)

Be careful what you wish for.  Wink. Wink.

All the best,
Allan B.