 General / 43356
Re: Netiquette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ray Silva wrote:
Kevin,

I can use the same arguments about chronology for top posting...

I don't think so; I find that claim a little silly, to be honest.  Why do
top-posters never *intersperse* their comments?  Because it would pretty
obviously be unpleasant to read, of course.

And certainly not, either, for non-interspersed replies of any length; skipping
forward and then back to establish context is pretty obviously annoying.  In
this very message of yours, a casual newcomer to the thread would have to read
almost a page ahead in order to figure out what you mean by "same arguments."

Replying to someone personally in email, assumed context is fine.  For public
discussion, much less so.  So, no, I don't agree that my argument carries any
weight at all for top-posting.

(If you're just going to toss off a quick comment in a discussion, likely few
will notice or care.  If you're going to have a real-live discussion or debate,
well ... look at any sizable thread here on LUGNet or at groups.google.com.)

... but the MAIN
ADVANTAGE to top posting allows the email to be previewed and/or read without
having to open the entire email...or at least it does this for those of us that
use an email program that ALLOWS previewing of emails, such as Outlook, Outlook
Express, GoldMine, etc.

An increasing number of viewers will automatically strip quoted material from
the preview (including LUGNet's web interface), so I don't find this a very
compelling reason to build public conversations that are difficult to read.

Also, take a look at where the comment is positioned as to who is
replying....right at the TOP!

I don't follow what you think this means.

Kevin