 General / 43355
Re: Netiquette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:52:39 GMT

Ray Silva wrote:
I can use the same arguments about chronology for top posting...but the MAIN
ADVANTAGE to top posting allows the email to be previewed and/or read without
having to open the entire email...or at least it does this for those of us that
use an email program that ALLOWS previewing of emails, such as Outlook, Outlook
Express, GoldMine, etc.

Of course the news ettiquette is also to trim your quotes. If people
took care to do this, the first point would more likely show up in
previews.

What I hate about the quoted article on the bottom is that people never
trim them. They carry the whole previous post, just so they can say "I
agree.".

Personally, I hate previewing of e-mails. I always have to be careful
when reading and deleting e-mail in Netscape that I don't accidentally
"read" an e-mail I don't want to. At home, I use Outlook and I don't use
the preview pane. I pick the e-mails I want to open and read, and I
don't pick ones that have attachments unless I recognize the sender and
subject. Once I clicked the get mail in Netscape with my boss in the
room. What was the first e-mail? One with a nice big nude picture. Gosh
how I hate Netscape's preview... Fortunately that boss just laughed it
off. Meanwhile, Netscape probably gave my e-mail address and everything
to the senders web site.

At work, we use Lotus Notes which has no provision for Unix style
quoting. So what happens when we are exchanging e-mails and need to
respond point by point? "See my comments in red." "See my comments in
blue" "See my comments in green"... you get about 3 responses before it
totally collapses. Unix style quoting can go to about 10 responses
before it starts getting too unwieldy.

Frank