 General / 43354
Re: Netiquette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:15:38 GMT

Ray Silva wrote:

I just noticed something when I went to reply to a post here at Lugnet
that doesn't match up with the way I use email on a daily basis at work
and
everywhere else.  In other words, who decided that when replying, the
"Proper
Netiquette" is that replys belong at the bottom of an email?  My normal
procedure is that replies are ALWAYS PLACED at the TOP!

Usenet is different to email, since (due to crossposting and stuff) the
original post might not be around anymore to read, so the post by itself
needs to make sense. So it's normal that when replying, you type your reply
below the piece of text so that others can follow the story as they read
it, without having to scroll all over the document.

I've never done any different, be it email or newsgroups. Specially since
bottom reply is default behaviour for both Netscape and most *NIX mailers.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit