 General / 43256
43255  |  43257
Subject:
KB Toys settles lawsuit, offers 30% off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:18:09 GMT

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-toys12.html

KB Toys settles lawsuit, offers 30% off

October 12, 2003

BY STEPHANIE ZIMMERMANN Consumer Reporter

Consumers who shopped at KB Toys and were hooked by price tags that seemed
to offer unusually steep markdowns can benefit from a settlement in a
class-action suit against the retailer.

Without admitting any deception, KB Toys has agreed to refund $3 million to
consumers by offering 30 percent discounts on any toy purchase of $30 or
more through this Tuesday. Consumers do not have to provide receipts of
previous KB purchases; the discount is open to anyone. The 30 percent
discount does not apply to gift cards, video game systems or video game
cartridges.

The lawsuit alleged that the chain posted grossly inflated "reference
prices" next to the KB prices on items in its stores, falsely implying that
the KB price was much lower than an ordinary price.

One example was the Disney's Baby Mickey Musical Touch 'n Crawl toy, which
had a "$29.99" price tag crossed out with a red line and replaced with
$9.99.