 General / 43113
Re: Newbie information? (was Re: Kicking the Brick with: Paul Hartzog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:58:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney wrote: -snip-
   Where does a newbie go to get an orientation on the LEGO community as a whole?

Bricks Magazine, perhaps?

(Or are we supposed never to mention that again?1)

Adieu

Richie Dulin

1
   Okay, yes: This post does seem like a troll. But think about it, Bricks Magazine was hailed as a great contribution to the community, created by two of its most high profile members (and yes, there were two of them credited with it) and endorsed by some of its other high profile members, and then it goes under - apparently - not that they’ve been particularly forthcoming with news, and one of the foundation editors renounces his ties with the organisation.

Now, Tim Courtney might have left Bricksmedia because he was unhappy with the way it was being run... but he won’t tell us!. We’re to take it (I guess, and on his assurance) that he is blameless, and that we should ignore his involvement with the apparently failed enterprise.

But, hey, I’m not out of pocket, so I guess it shouldn’t concern me. But surely, it concerns a few people out there... weren’t there hundred’s of charter subscribers after all? Do they not mind losing their money?

And yes: I accept that my views are the views of one cynical antipodean. I do not claim to speak on anyone’s behalf, other than my own. I just can’t understand why so few people seem care - or - on the other hand, why people are happy to simply forgive and forget (or simply “sweep it under the carpet”).

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique

   Misérable
Building a safer South Pacifique

Richie, you have taken a good hearted discussion and said something distasteful and have missed the point by so far, I feel I must say something on behalf of the friendship I have with Tim.

You will never know how insulting your words are.

Tim had and has a vision, a vision that he is still trying to attain and bring others in to seeing, even though he has had to start over. A vision that was dashed when Matt Gerber disapeared with $5000.

Its a joke after saying something so cruel, you would actually put your links at the bottom of your post inviting people to see what you have made. Who would care after such a callus comment.

Remember one thing, Tim is here trying to engage people. Matt Gerber isn’t. Tim held a meeting at Brick Fest that had such energy and empathy that the room of people shared a harmony that was almost undescribeable.

You want the dirt on Brick Media, you don’t deserve it, if you were cool about it maybe someone would tell you.

Fact is what Matt did to Tim is so wrong he can’t even stomach discussing it. Leave him alone and have some faith that Tim wants to retain some dignity. He should not have to fathom why Matt did what he did. Tim was one of the most affected, more so than you will ever know.

Lastly, I started this sub thread. The whole aim of your post is unwelcome. Granted people deserve some answers don’t force Tim to guess at why Matt took off. He honestly doesn’t know.

You oughta be ashamed at the amount of sour grapes you just tossed into what was intended to be a postive post.

yours,

Eric Sophie

GardenSLUG Lego Mecha Hall of Fame SciBrick Biomechanical Bricks Tim’s Friend (he owes me beers)

P.S. Nobody said Bricks Media was gonna be a place to get an orientation, true it could have served that purpose by default. Bricks Media’s main objective in my understanding wa to highlight and promote the people on the community and the tools to a lesser extent.

The focus was always about the people. The Portal idea to the resources is something new and under development. To bad you aren’t willing to play in the sand box. Nice attitude verified at the door please.