 General / 42350
42349  |  42351
Subject:
LEGO® Company Asks: What Will You Make?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:21:33 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 3, 2003--

LEGO® Company Asks: What Will You Make? LEGO MasterBuilders Launch Global Search
for Building Apprentices; International Celebrities Rise to the Challenge.

To commemorate the launch of unique new classic construction products, LEGO
Company today announces a campaign to search the world for the next generation
of LEGO® Master Model Builders, asking children and families "What Will You
Make?" to catch the eye of the LEGO MasterBuilders.

International celebrities from Courteney Cox Arquette and David Arquette to
Sophia Loren have already answered the MasterBuilders' special challenge,
building models to be showcased in a gallery opening. The star models will be
auctioned for charity later this year.

The search for the next generation of MasterBuilders begins today when Karsten
Kristensen, a LEGO Master Model Builder for nearly 25 years, will ceremonially
"knight" a team of MasterBuilder scouts. Through hands-on playful events and
activities, every child around the world from the U.S. to Germany to Singapore,
will have a chance to become a LEGO Apprentice MasterBuilder. LEGO
MasterBuilders will share top creations spotted on their travels and upload them
to www.LEGO.com/create, where children will also be able to contact the LEGO
MasterBuilders for tips and tricks. At the end of the year, LEGO MasterBuilders
will decide who gets to "Be a MasterBuilder for a Day," traveling behind the
scenes of a Master Model Shop and help prepare the next larger-than-life
creation for public display.

This week, the LEGO Company launches the global campaign in one of the world's
creative capitals by asking New Yorkers, "What will you make?" LEGO
MasterBuilders took a six-foot LEGO robot to New York Harbour to inspire New
Yorkers and visiting tourists to set sail with a new way to experience LEGO
play. The festivities in New York culminate with the unveiling of a gallery of
imagination, comprised of models that nearly 100 international schoolchildren,
city youth, members of the global media and personalities from the worlds of
television, movies, design, food and fashion have created.

Participants who accepted the challenge include: LEGO Company CEO, Kjeld Kirk
Kristiansen, Courteney Cox Arquette and David Arquette, Sophia Loren, Claudia
Schiffer, Lulu Guinness, Ross Powers, Jasmin Wagner, Franz Beckenbauer, Anthony
Kavanagh, Miss France 2001, Johnny Vegas, Matteo Thun, Linus, Paul Accola, Renny
Harlin, Juan y Medio, and many more celebrities and international
schoolchildren.

Also represented in the gallery are several New York City-based LEGO Club kids,
students from the Charter High School for Architecture and Design, the
Educational Alliance, La Scuola d'Italia, the F.I.R.S.T. LEGO League and the
Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, and children who work with San
Francisco's Drawbridge, an organization that uses a variety of artistic media to
enable homeless children to rediscover the playful creativity that is at the
core of healthy development.

Sean Kenney, an adult enthusiast from Manhattan, rose to the challenge building,
among other things, a scale LEGO replica of New York's Greenwich Village and a
6-foot tall LEGO Empire State Building. Holger Matthes, a German enthusiast,
displays his replica of Venice, Italy, as well as several renowned train engines
and coaches from different countries.

"The LEGO Company believes that children learn the most through creative play,
expressing themselves and having fun while they do it. As MasterBuilders, we
have the hands-on experience with the magic of LEGO play every day. Why should
only 40 of us, LEGO MasterBuilders, have this amazing opportunity? With this
global campaign and exciting new product range, children and families will find
the power to create like never before," says Kristensen. "We believe that the
What Will You Make? campaign will inspire LEGO play in children of all ages and
help us find the next generation of LEGO Masters."

LEGO MasterBuilders are a special group of only 40 people around the world,
whose diverse backgrounds have led them to a unique career designing and
building all of the larger- than-life LEGO models that are on parade at retail
destinations, at the four LEGOLAND Parks in Denmark, England, U.S.A. and
Germany, and that are hands-on happenings during LEGO family events every year.

For more information about how to enter the Search for the MasterBuilders of
Tomorrow random prize drawing, visit www.LEGO.com/create later this month.

Editor's Note: interviews, images and b-roll available upon request. Photos can
be downloaded directly at http://www.newscast.co.uk/

B-roll will be distributed via the Associated Press Television Network.

CONTACT:
LEGO Europe Amy Rudgard, +441753495311
LEGO Americas Michael McNally, 860/763-7825
LEGO Asia-Pacific Francis Thomas, +441753495109

-end of report-