 General / 42291
Re: The way we were: January, 1994
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 17:38:39 GMT

Adrian Egli wrote:

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
I just read through the first month of postings to rec.toys.lego (January 1994)
and was amused and impressed by some of the things I read.  There were many
"firsts" of discussions that seem to be ongoing up to the present.  I thought
it might be entertaining and/or helpful to reminisce about some of the topics
discussed then.  I would love it if someone with a greater ability to process
trends and a good editorial eye would take on the task of beginning to write
down the history of the online Lego community (more on this after the topic
list).

That would make for some nice history of the online LEGO world.

One question- where did you find posts so old? We're talking nine years plus
there!  It would be a real kick to get a look at this very early stuff.

Google. Here's what would appear to be my first Usenet post:

http://www.google.com/groups?q=filz&start=70&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=27&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=1992&selm=5292%40rpi.edu&rnum=73

It's possible there could be an earlier post that I didn't sign my name
to but still used this account.

Hm poking around at a few other names, I see Lar++ used to run a BBS
(and I'm not sure I knew where Milton came from before...):

http://www.google.com/groups?q=larry+pieniazek&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=27&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1992&selm=401%40tygra.UUCP&rnum=4

But it looks like it took Larry another year to get on Usenet:

http://www.google.com/groups?q=larry+pieniazek&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=27&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1992&selm=1992Jul07.195316.27921%40watson.ibm.com&rnum=2

And here might be Bruce Schlickbernd's first post (using his wife's?
account):

http://www.google.com/groups?q=bruce+schlickbernd&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=27&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1992&selm=1992Apr13.210358.18827%40jato.jpl.nasa.gov&rnum=3

It looks like her first activity might have been voting for the
formation of REC.GAMES.FRP.PBN (which I appear to have voted for
also...).

http://www.google.com/groups?q=bruce+schlickbernd&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=27&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1992&selm=13824%40bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU&rnum=15

It's kind of fun to go back in history...

Frank