 General / 42098
Re: When did "extra's" start?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 03:55:11 GMT

    I remember that there used to always be extras of the 1X1 round plates;
especially when the set used an odd number of them.  Way back in The Day, the
1X1 round plates came in pairs on a sprue, so a set always had an even number
of them.  For instance, if your set only used one 1X1 trans-green round plate,
you would have an extra, because you'd have 2 from the pair on the sprue.
    I also remember older sets having extras of the really small pieces that
could get lost easily, like Technic bushings and anntenae.
    I think that set #6502 from 1987 is the earliest set that I bought unopened
with a fairly large extra piece.  It had an extra tire (part 4288).  Any set I
have from before 1987 is either one that was from '84-'86 that LEGO still made
in '87 or a used set that might not have the extras that it originally came
with.
    David