 General / 41964
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:03:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Schwanke writes:
No he was basically showing dont judge a book by its spiritual cover.

Its a sad an unfortunate thing that todays churches are regularly filled
with people who look and act and seem like the nicest people around but in
fact are anything but saved. (And usually are anything but nice on the
inside.)

Then there is the other hand where there are people who look grungy and
nasty and dirty and go to church and are some of the most beautiful
spiritual people you will ever meet.

Nothing wrong with the second except that many people will judge the book by
the cover and give a 'kudos' to the first person and snub their noses at the
second. Which to Christ is bass ackwards.

Remember with Christ it was the prostitutes and tax collectors that were
considered more 'real and spiritual' and found it easier to hear Christ then
the pharisees with all their rule following and 'fitting in' to 'spiritual
culture'.   (Not to say that a pharisee couldnt be saved, I'm sure some
were. But the majority of them were so caught up in looking the part and
acting the part that they never got around to actually BEING the part. Or
some didnt want to be 'real' in that way.)

Sorry if I am going overboard and you were just making a retorihical comical
comment. :)

On a reality side note, you could have called me part of the second.  I came
from the raver grunge crowd so when I first started going to church I wore
all black with long unkempt hair and a huge unkempt beard. I also rarely
washed my hair so it was pretty thick and matted.  But those first few
months (as is with most people that come through as dramatic a conversion as
I did) I was so on fire for the Lord you could probably have toasted
marshmellows off my soul.

Sorry if the post is now off topic.  Not sure how this would classify in
this setting.

Oh, Hi David.  After reading the follow-ups on this thread, I realized you
were that seller I greeted with a request to keep religion out of BrickLink
a few months ago.

Matt has used this incident as a way of "prooving" that I don't respect
others.  So I thought to myself : Yeah, you should maybe drop a line to
David to let him know it was nothing personnal.  So here it is.

I hope you are not mad at me for my request.  I had done something similar a
year earlier about religion too and it started a war then too.  I don't like
wars, but I strongly feel compelled to react when I feel something isn't right.

I have nothing against you and the harsh words that might have been said
when we were arguing on BL are behind me.  Just don't say you'll pray for me
and I won't flame you ! ;-)

It seems that everytime a religious discussions starts, it's because of me!
I wish I didn't have that reputation of starting wars!

Peace,
Terry