 General / 41781
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:12:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Szklennik writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Certainly anyone who does is welcome, but perhaps being a part of the
community, or one of many 'LEGO communities' is a matter of individuals
actively identifying with such groups...?

-Tim

I don't disagree, but being a member of 'The friendliest place on the
internet', I like the idea that people 'into Lego' are automatically included
just because they are intrinsically valued as people to begin with.
Hmm...here's a thought...maybe inclusiveness is not "actively identifying with
such groups", but exclusion is actively saying in some form:  "I'm NOT part of
your group".
inclusice=passive/automatic; exclusion=active/trying.  I guess what I'm trying
to say is, inclusiveness, as a friendly state of existence, is automatic;
exclusion is by choice.  However, I just realized I'm automatically thinking
from 'within the community'I think I am.  If one doesn't realise there's a
community, how can one know that he/she is welcome to it, or already included?

LOL - oh what a dork I am! I just tried raising that question in a reply
earlier in your post here, without realizing you raised it yourself a few
lines down. Glad I didn't post it and make a fool out of myself :^) [1]

Anyways...

I've seen many people come to a sudden realization there's a HUGE LEGO hobby
out there, when a second earlier they only knew what they had in their
attic. It's kinda cool to experience that with someone. I would imagine at
that point, people make a decision to pursue being active in the LEGO hobby
(and therefore becoming a part of our nebulous "community"), or they decide
to go about their lives and not explore their expanded LEGO horizons. I'd
say, if they don't explore it, they chose not to be a part of the community.

Another idea just popped into my head:  because a community is made of people,
& I believe people are more than matter, maybe communities don't have fringes;
perceiving fringes could be a limit of our human ability to think about some
'things' intangibly, by ascribing geometric constructs to the ideas.

Sure, in a sense. That's how we can include anyone and everyone who's into
LEGO in our global community of LEGO fans.

WHOOO!  thanks for the question!

No problem!!

Jeff

ooohmmmm!...ooohmmmm!...ooohmmmm!...

I posed my only Toa in a meditating position... he's kinda funny. Not a big
Bionicle fan, but I got a couple for the heck of it.

-Tim

[1] not like that's too uncommon for me...