 General / 41759
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 04:46:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Jeff Szklennik writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
SNIP
Particularly - what do you think the LEGO community includes? what does it
exclude? • HUGE SNIP
-Tim

basically, any one that plays or works with ANY Lego building product.

Jeff

Certainly anyone who does is welcome, but perhaps being a part of the
community, or one of many 'LEGO communities' is a matter of individuals
actively identifying with such groups...?

-Tim

I don't disagree, but being a member of 'The friendliest place on the
internet', I like the idea that people 'into Lego' are automatically included
just because they are intrinsically valued as people to begin with.
Hmm...here's a thought...maybe inclusiveness is not "actively identifying with
such groups", but exclusion is actively saying in some form:  "I'm NOT part of
your group".
inclusice=passive/automatic; exclusion=active/trying.  I guess what I'm trying
to say is, inclusiveness, as a friendly state of existence, is automatic;
exclusion is by choice.  However, I just realized I'm automatically thinking
from 'within the community'I think I am.  If one doesn't realise there's a
community, how can one know that he/she is welcome to it, or already included?
Another idea just popped into my head:  because a community is made of people,
& I believe people are more than matter, maybe communities don't have fringes;
perceiving fringes could be a limit of our human ability to think about some
'things' intangibly, by ascribing geometric constructs to the ideas.

WHOOO!  thanks for the question!

Jeff

ooohmmmm!...ooohmmmm!...ooohmmmm!...