 General / 41775
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:53:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about the
LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it
which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm
interested in hearing others' thoughts on the LEGO community.

Okay, it looks like you must have had a nice amount
of time on your hands in order to come up with such a
question - time I would normally spend building.

Particularly - what do you think the LEGO community includes? what does it
exclude?

Step back and look at the arrangement of themes. For
some reason, the community doesn't seem the most
receptive towards bionicles (hence, BZCommunity),
and of course, for sellers, we have the Bricklink
Forums. FBTB caters more to Star Wars than lugnet
ever would...

And how do you exactly define 'community?'. Is
it comprised out of every person whom utilizes
lego for some purpose or another, or those whom
participate online and discuss? I really think
this is an ambiguous question which really doesn't
have a definite answer.

And if a true answer doesn't really exist, what's
the point of pondering, then?

Isn't pondering the unaswerables pretty much what philosphy is generally about?

You seemed to be interested in writing a lot in response to a question you
didn't seem to deem worthy of answering.

You seem to want to disagree with this post on a lot of points yet... merely
stating your opinion does pretty much what Tim asks.  Kind of ironic.

Sorry if this sounds critical.