 General / 41774
41773  |  41775
Subject:
The cost of a new mold. (was Re: parts that have only ever come in one set...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:41:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Black sword in #6041

Big yellow windows in #6372

Black Crossbow in #3342
These 3 exist in other colors in other sets, I am only interested in cases
where a part mould is exclusive to a set (it just seems stupid to me to
make the mould then to only use it for one set)

I have come to the conclusion that a new mold costs less than two 1x1 bricks in
a retail set. How, one may ask, did I come to this conclusion? Simple, set 4702
Harry Potter Final Challenge. The instructions depicted the turntable wall
piece with two 1x1 bricks placed at the bottom corner 1x1 'cutouts'. However
the set was the first to use the newer turntable wall where the bottom
'cutouts' are already filled via a new part without them. If you understood
that then you see why I have come to the conclusion that a new mold costs less
than two 1x1 bricks in a retail set.

-Mike Petrucelli