 General / 41765
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:49:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about the
LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it
which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm
interested in hearing others' thoughts on the LEGO community.

Okay, it looks like you must have had a nice amount
of time on your hands in order to come up with such a
question - time I would normally spend building.

Particularly - what do you think the LEGO community includes? what does it
exclude?

Step back and look at the arrangement of themes. For
some reason, the community doesn't seem the most
receptive towards bionicles (hence, BZCommunity),
and of course, for sellers, we have the Bricklink
Forums. FBTB caters more to Star Wars than lugnet
ever would...

And how do you exactly define 'community?'. Is
it comprised out of every person whom utilizes
lego for some purpose or another, or those whom
participate online and discuss? I really think
this is an ambiguous question which really doesn't
have a definite answer.

And if a true answer doesn't really exist, what's
the point of pondering, then?

snip reminisce

Since then, we've seen an apparent change in the demographic of the fan
community. More people online and involved today are general computer users,
and perhaps barely computer literate. They come from a wide variety of
backgrounds and with that have different attitudes and outlooks towards the
LEGO community.

Well, by now that should be apparently obvious :)

But I would't ascribe 'computer illiterate' to anyone that
can log onto the internet, set up their email account and
post to lugnet.

Through local clubs and community events worldwide, we know that many LEGO
fans are not connected to the internet, or choose not to participate in
online discussion. There are also people who aren't a part of the
"mainstream" LEGO hobby - they embrace "controversial" [1] themes such as
Bionicle, or participate in LEGO organizations not directly connected to the
online community such as First LEGO League.

Perhaps there's a reason they choose not to participate...
in the very same manner a lot of my acquaintences whom
used to build lego followed - they wanted to assimilate
not with lego computer geeks, but normal people. I've
noticed that the same slate of accounts post here during
normal working hours, which makes me wonder if they're
stressing the idea of 'multitasking'.

There's a lot more to my life than lego, and for probably
most other lego fans, they work in a similar manner, quietly
building and displaying without all the clamor.

There are people who participate for different reasons. Some participate
purely for light fun, others for the artistic qualities of the brick, and
yet others who put serious time into building community resources to enhance
the LEGO experience.
As I'm trying to determine what the LEGO community means to me, I'd like to
hear what it means to you.

For me, it's purely a venue to express my rants and
off the wall ideas when I'm not preoccupied with other
important matters. (which is a rarity at this moment...)

I've encountered very conservative and very liberal attitudes towards what
"the LEGO community" is. I think some feel it is (or should be) limited to
LUGNET, others limited to active online participants. Where on the other end
of the spectrum, some openly and enthusiastically include Bionicle builders
and First LEGO League kids, artists who use LEGO as a medium but don't
communicate with LEGO fans online, and more. I've also experienced different
attitudes towards how the LEGO Company fits in (or doesn't fit in) as a
participant in the LEGO community.

Whoa, wait a moment here...now you're throwing political
spectrums on the brick?

I see everything in the world of LEGO as having its purpose.
I'm for evangelizing the LEGO hobby.

We have worship services at 10:15. Of course, I'm
not attending. Don't drink and write kids.

I'm just kidding!!! :)

I want to see more people discover this
amazing hobby and the resources that are available to them.

The same here, the more illumination we cast on potential
artists, the greater the porential for uncovered genius.
Personally, it would be rather nice to see a new source
of inspiration, primarily for castle,  but of course, we'll
probably get the typical LOTR fans. I'll wager for
originality, although those cynical voices in my mind
tell me it may be a losing bet.

But, I'll stay optimistic and hope for the best.

I want to see those people grow in their building skills
and build friendships with like-minded blockheads.

The term 'blockhead' sounds like something from either
Gumby or Charlie Brown. It's a term I would rather not
be called by...sounds kind of asinine.

I like open LEGO events, that encourage the public, or at least
members of the public interested in the hobby for themselves, to
attend. At the same time, I like to get together with my LEGO friends from
all over the country (and even world) and talk shop with few outside
interruptions.

Talk shop? Okay, I'll just interpret this as as trading
conversations. Of course, I'm not a codist or one of
those  'uber- fill in the blank' type. We'll leave it
at that.

So, where do you think LEGO interests which aren't necessarily "mainstream"
accepted values fit in? What makes someone someone a "member" of the LEGO
community? If someone actively participates in a league such as FLL, but
doesn't post on LUGNET, are they "in?"

They fit inside their respective forums...and they
really shouldn't be altered. It's when you try to
divert everything that the cycle breaks and you're
in a mess of oil and scattered parts.

Again, the 'in' question makes no sense. Since there's
no possible way inwhich to measure a community, how
then, can you determine the attributes in which one
can be considered a member? In fact, it's kind of
obsessive in a disturbing way...

There's really no philosophy in my opinion other
than receiving inspiration for an idea, formulating,
and then presenting it, all in a modest manner.
There's really no evident means to attempting to
measure what in fact 'the community' is...

I'm sure a lot of discussion such as this may give
some the 'off' impression of obsession with the
brick. That's why I've cut off my posting
considerably in the last few months.

I know there are no concrete answers to the questions I am asking. I am
simply wondering what others think. Maybe these thoughts can open peoples'
eyes to what else is out there, beyond our corner of the LEGO world. And I
hope the ideas will help me continue to form my opinions and attitudes
towards the LEGO hobby as a whole.

Well, what else is there? All I can see as of now
is the fog of reality creeping in. The gap between
that and recreation is forever narrowing, almost to
the point where drawing and writing take far greater
magnitude than plastic bricks. Hey, the pen is a
damned powerful tool...plastic can really only convey
to a certain extent.

Thanks for reading - and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I'm not sure if you'll enjoy my thoughts, so
take them as you will.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y