 General / 40724
40723  |  40725
Subject:
Change in LEGO set numbering scheme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:31:45 GMT

[I'm posting this in .general because none of the database groups seem
appropriate. Reroute FUT as appropriate.]

I recently picked up one of the new Racers sets, Pro-Stunt, set #8350 (don't
bother looking it up, it's not in the database yet). Now, something strikes
me as odd in the numbering of this set.

Previously, all 8xxx sets were Technic. They may have been tied to another
theme (like the 800x Star Wars Technic sets), or they may have been only
marginally Technic (like Slizers, RoboRiders, and Bionicle), but they were
all Technic in that pegs and axles were a primary means of connecting parts.

There is nothing Technic about 8350. There are no pegs, no axles, no beams
(studded or studless). It is an ordinary small Racers set with a pull-back
motor. Last year, all the Racers were 4xxx sets, unless they were clearly
Technic. And some of this year's Racers are justifiably Technic. But 8350 is
not.

Does this represent a change in the numbering scheme for LEGO sets? I've
noticed that other themes no longer seem to follow specific numbering
schemes anymore, with set numbers falling in multiple ranges (Ninjas had
both 30xx and 40xx, Alpha Team has both 47xx and 67xx, and so on). 7xxx was
once exclusively Star Wars, but Life on Mars and now Orient Expedition use
part of that too, and Star Wars has new sets in the 44xx range.

If we can no longer count on 8xxx being Technic, then as far as I can tell,
anything can happen with numbering. Which screws up my instruction-sorting
royally. I've been storing instructions in three three-ring binders: one for
Technic, one for Star Wars, and one for everything else. That worked great
when those were hard and fast numbering divisions. LOM threw me a little,
but since they were still a self-contained numbering range, I just put them
at the end of the regular. But if non-Technic sets are going to be numbered
amidst the Technic sets, I'm going to have to completely redo my setup.

I know it sounds like I'm making a big deal about an awfully small thing,
but I'm an orderly person, and the growing disorder in TLC's set numbering
is bothering me more and more. Call me crazy, but what's wrong with wanting
a logical numbering system?