 General / 40725
Re: Change in LEGO set numbering scheme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:00:47 GMT

"Mark D. McKean" <qpanda@quantumpanda.com> wrote in message
[I'm posting this in .general because none of the database groups seem
appropriate. Reroute FUT as appropriate.]

I recently picked up one of the new Racers sets, Pro-Stunt, set #8350 • (don't
bother looking it up, it's not in the database yet). Now, something • strikes
me as odd in the numbering of this set.

It is in _the_ database:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Query=8350

Previously, all 8xxx sets were Technic.

I think the reason for using the 8xxx series for these sets is that 'Technic
is dead' as a normal retail product line, being replaced primarily by Racers
but also a few other themes. It probably makes sense therefore to keep all
Racers sets numerically together, regardless of them using Technic parts or
not.

If youy take a look at http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Year=2003, there
are many other inconsistencies introduced in the numbering this year. Why
has Star Wars stopped using the 7xxx series, for example?

Looking at the list of sets between 8000 and 8999,
http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Query=8000-8999, it still seems fairly
logical:

8000-19 Star Wars, Roborider minis
8020-99 Pre 1995 universal sets
82xx      'Basic' Technic sets
8300-09 Technic Competition
8310-49 Galidor
8350-99 Racers
84xx      'Advanced' Technic including this year's traditional Technic
models
85xx      Slizer/Roborider/Bionicle
86xx      Arctic
87xx      Supplementary sets
88xx      Pre 1995 non-universal sets

Given that we must be running out of 4 digit numbers, they have to use
whatever gaps they can find, I guess.

Huw