 General / 40663
Re: Inferior colour rendering in this year's instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:11:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huw Millington writes:
While at LEGOLAND Windsor last year on 'business' I picked up a copy of the
internal employee newspaper 'LEGO Life'. In it was an article about a new
CAD system being introduced to create instruction diagrams, called 3D
Vision.

This year all the instructions have been produced using this software, by
the looks of things, because the main visible difference is the shading and
top-left light source that 'illuminates' the models and thus creates
different shades on each face of the bricks. (excuse my non-technical CAD
terms, I am no expert)

Now, I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to be a retrograde step. On
several occasions I have had difficulty telling the difference between white
and light grey and  between black and dark grey.

For example, on step 6 of Orient Adventurers set 7412 (the yeti set), the
1x2 thin wall looks identical in colour to me [1] to the two 1x4 tiles. The
tiles are grey and the 1x2 thin wall is in fact white, but because of the
lighting of their faces they look the same colour. Luckily there is no
ambiguity in this set because there is only one of those pieces in it, but
in other sets this may not be the case, and I'm sure kids could get
confused.

Another problem is the rendering of the transparent colours. In steps 30/31
of the AT-TE, the fluorescent yellow/green looks like regular transparent
green, even more so on step 21 of Jabba's palace where the transparent green
frog looks identical to it's container which is fluorescent yellow/green.

Has anyone else experienced or noticed this problem?

Huw

[1] I work under halogen lights, so I don't think my local lighting is an
issue.

I've had the same problem-I do NOT like the new color-confusion 'art' at all.
I was trained in architecture in college & also took many art courses & did art
on my own (& still do);  A VERY important concept is to make one's ideas easily
read, almost intuitive; the new colors just help confuse things.  3D rendering
is great for detailed images of finished sets in scenes or bionicle etc. but to
instruct building, simple isometric images with very few shades/tints/ of color
is essential to keeping the visual message clear.  The new instructions remind
me of 2D flash graphics, I havn't figured out why tho'.

Jeff