 General / 40120
Re: Brickshelf speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:15:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
Our ISP (which is across the hall btw) just installed a new
circuit and asked if we could help load test it :)

hehheh, we'll make sure to "test it" ;-)

The good news is I now know exactly how much bandwidth brickshelf
needs.

And what is that number exactly? I've always been curious as to how much
Brickshelf does consume.

Besides working the business issues, I am also
working on some code that will allow controlling the QoS for
pages, thumbnails and full sized files independently.  This would allow
pages and thumbnails to load very quickly even if full sized files
were slow.

If I can make a suggestion, I have found in the past that forcing the images
to be resized for display purposes even if people upload them at full res
really helps BIG time! i don't think you will find ANYONE complaining if their
1600x1200 pictures get cut in half or even down to 640 x 480 if it will
increase the speed of Brickshelf. Also, loading as much into memory would
lighten the load on "popluar" areas like say, Adrian Drakes Star Wars story.
And if you need help with any of it Kevin, please feel free to ask the
community. You have provided a fantastic service...the least we can do is help
you with whatever we can.

-alex