 General / 39026
Re: Building American History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:13:08 GMT

"Jason Maxwell" <jhmaxwell@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:H3Mv9I.4BK@lugnet.com...
Recently I've been reading a lot of early American history (A biography of
Ben Franklin called The First American, Shelby Foote's Civil War series,
watching Liberty's Kids on PBS, etc.) which has inspired me to do some • LEGO
building.  At the moment I'm working on an old stone bridge with a
guardpost/tower manned by colonials.  I was wondering two things, first, • is
anyone else building along these lines, and second, which LUGNET group is
the appropriate one for discussion of LEGO building from this era?

Jason

Just catching up with some reading - sorry for the late reply.  I have
constructed a replica of the Virginia State Capitol Building in Richmond,
Virginia, on which construction began in 1785.  The news announcment is
here:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=12270

Some Brickshelf pictures are here (there are also pictures of my models of
three of Monument Avenue's famous monuments - General Robert E. Lee, General
Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, and tennis legend Arthur Ashe):

In another post, Greg Perry mentions his Colonial Williamsburg Powder
Magazine which is just an awesome model.  I am also currently researching
the Colonial Williamsburg Courthouse which I hope to be able to construct
eventually (thus expanding RichLUG's current collection of models from
Virginia history).

History in general, and American history in particular, provides numerous
ideas for MOC's.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your creations.  Good
luck!

Tim