 General / 38841
Re: Building American History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:59:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Maxwell writes:
I was wondering two things, first, is
anyone else building along these lines, and second, which LUGNET group is
the appropriate one for discussion of LEGO building from this era?

I have a Colonial American MOC that is a model of Colonial Williamsburg's
Powder Magazine.  This building has been standing continuously since its
erection in 1715 when it was built as a storehouse for British government
military supplies intended for the protection of the colony of Virginia.

Here's a link to my Brickshelf gallery:

Here's a link to my original LUGNET posting about the project which includes
both historical details and information about what when into building it:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/arch/?n=751

After completing this project I had every intention of tackling other
Colonial Williamsburg buildings but so far have not gotten around to it.

I have, however, been continuing to obtain suitable figs from the Pirate
theme that can be used as generic colonial figs.  There are 3 good torsos
that I believe work really well in this setting.  You can see all 3 on the
following page from the Minimundo! site:
http://www.minimundo.de/inhalt/seiten/piraten.htm

The 3 I like are
   1. Blue coat with olive green waistcoat
   2. Tan/Orange waistcoat with white "fancy shirt"
   3. Green open waistcoat with white shirt

Of course, the Imperial guards and soldiers make for good British and
American troops.  And if necessary some of the other Pirate figs could be
used to flesh out the ranks of the local militia.

Like I said, I plan on eventually working on some other colonial era
buildings and scenes - just keep getting distracted by so many other LEGO
projects. Top of the list of buildings I'd love to tackle is Virginia's
colonial capitol building (all kinds of interesting challenges here):
http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/Almanack/places/hb/hbcappc2.cfm

As far as which groups are appropriate for posting messages about projects
of this type.  I think the Pirate group is appropriate since a lot of the
figs and accessories from this theme would end up being used.  Also, many
Pirate fans while they might not have a direct interest in colonial history
might appreciate some inspiration for creating buidlings that would fit
alongside other Pirate MOC's.  I think that build.architecture is also a
good group to post in since most colonial buildings would include some
interesting features (such as being in the shape of an octagon like the
Magazine).

Good luck with your projects and I look forward to hearing more about them.
Perhaps they will help inspire me to get back to my work on my own ideas.

Greg