 General / 38999
Re: How to use Lego bricks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:49:28 GMT

However, thanks to observing Dan Siskind's
guarded church, I have learnt that the trick to building a large roof in
sections is to reinforce each section with inverse slopes on the underside.

A cheaper way to reinforce the underside is to use a row of plates along the
underneath of each row of roof slopes where they don't overlap the next row.
It doesn't look as good but it adds considerably to the strength.

I'll have to give it a try. I tend to focus on external appearance not internal
appearance, so the internal look doesn't matter so much to me. It must be said
that the interior use of inverse slopes makes an amazingly strong roof. I often
prefer to lift modules by holding the roof as it is the strongest part
(especially if there are a lot of windows/doors/etc to weaken the walls). This
probably accounts for why I have almost as many inverse slopes as normal
slopes.

I must admit that looking at people's Lego WWW sites and reading LUGnet has
given me loads of useful ideas, so my message on modularity was an attempt to
give something back.

Kerry