 General / 38964
Re: How to use Lego bricks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:45:26 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:
So therefore I now try to NOT build long overlapping walls. Instead I built
wall segments (which are overlapped internally) but are not connected directly
to adjacent wall segments. Instead I rely on the floor/roof to sandwich the
wall segments together. If I know I have used the wrong parts (pending a
bricklink order), then I do sometimes resort to just stacking bricks on top of
one another as I know I am going to have to modify this section when the order
arrives, and removing stacked bricks to get to the problem area is a cinch in
comparison to removing overlapped bricks. The aim is always to build sections
and then use overlapping to connect the sections, but not overlap at the level
of every brick.
<snip>

Interesting POV.  I still overlap, and then just deal with the delicateness
of surgery if it occurs.  Although perhaps I don't build as big as you
might.  Other than a couple Castles and my one Moonbase Mod, I haven't
really done anything so huge that surgery would be too difficult.
...However it is also true that my larger models are somewhat modular in
that I use tiles to separate floors for easy access to the interior.
Although old hat for some, this is still a relatively new technique for me.
But as a result, when I do perform surgery, it is typically only on a small
set that is part of a larger one, rather than tearing apart a whole model.

I also use the tiled walls and stackable floors. Another advantage to
modularity is that large models can be transported much easier. The
primary thing which will tear apart a large structure is torqueing
forces. The larger the model, the larger these forces can be (think how
much easier it is to use a long screwdriver than a short one). When I
built the Inn for my port city, I divided each floor into two parts, and
the individual modules are very sturdy (traveled in checked luggage with
almost no damage). I had to rebuild several times, for example, when I
decided to put in torches everywhere, and had to go back and insert
headlight bricks. Of course there isn't a lot of overlapping
construction since there are so many windows.

Frank