 General / 38965
Re: How to use Lego bricks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:07:53 GMT

Kerry Raymond wrote in message ...
So therefore I now try to NOT build long overlapping walls. Instead I built
wall segments (which are overlapped internally) but are not connected • directly
to adjacent wall segments. Instead I rely on the floor/roof to sandwich the
wall segments together. If I know I have used the wrong parts (pending a
bricklink order), then I do sometimes resort to just stacking bricks on top • of
one another as I know I am going to have to modify this section when the • order
arrives, and removing stacked bricks to get to the problem area is a cinch • in
comparison to removing overlapped bricks. The aim is always to build • sections
and then use overlapping to connect the sections, but not overlap at the • level
of every brick.

Of course, building by this technique is not as structurally rigid as the • fully
overlapped technique, but it is still fairly rigid (e.g. can survive • transport
as a built model), so I theorise that the fully overlapped approach is in • fact
over-engineering in many circumstances.

Interesting - I hadn't really thought about it from this point of view but
you are right. I often tear back and rebuild my stuff multi times to get it
right and the overlapping causes a lot of extra tearback. I did build one
model in this modular way (the Schoolhouse,
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-schl.htm ) because it had colored stacks
of bricks at the corners, and it was quite convenient to be able to remove
the front or back walls, switch them over, or leave them off completely for
interior viewing at shows. The corner columns of 1x1 bricks weren't very
stable though :-)

One area were overlapping is more important is building roofs or other • large
sloping structures, as the downward forces are not evenly distributed over • the
whole brick as they are in a wall. So I was initially unable to apply the
modular approach to roofs etc. However, thanks to observing Dan Siskind's
guarded church, I have learnt that the trick to building a large roof in
sections is to reinforce each section with inverse slopes on the underside. • Of
course this uses a large amount of inverse slopes, so the poor man's • solution
is just to reinforce parts of each section, particularly the section ends.

A cheaper way to reinforce the underside is to use a row of plates along the
underneath of each row of roof slopes where they don't overlap the next row.
It doesn't look as good but it adds considerably to the strength.

Kevin
NEW Cottage kit, 577 pieces! http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-cott.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm