 General / 38516
38515  |  38517
Subject:
Protect free speech on Lugnet!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:48:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Please read the below string of messages to fully understand my beef here.

To MW, WW and all others who have been rude to Sean about the way he posts:

What is wrong with Sean's salutation or closing? It is a bunch of trash that
a brand new member of this community is already being slammed.  Here he is,
enthusiastic, and ready to become a great new member of this awesome
community.  He has so much to offer, and we have so much to share with him,
but here we have two very well respected, IMO, members of Lugnet slamming
Sean for nothing important - yet I recall comments made by you complaining
in the past about the deterioration of the Lugnet community.  Look in the
mirror, guys.

This whole thing infuriates me.  Read this below quote from MW:

Do you need to open every post with this?  Cute once or twice - annoying
when it is on every post.

Uhg! Weather or not it is annoying to you, this is his representation of his
personality.  The world is a fun place to live because we are all different.
What you are saying is that his own way of saying hi isn't good enough for
you.  So the boring - f'n boring - "Hello" is better?

Lets now evaluate this comment:

I give you slack because I know you're a KFOL (Kid fan of LEGO).  But
it's probably a good idea to try to adapt yourself to the standards of
the community, if you want to be taken seriously.

I have seen some pretty immature people who were adults, so this judgement
is out of whack.  Just because he is younger, does that mean he won't be
taken seriously here?  If so, that is screwed up.  Who gives a care if he
begins his post with wassssssup? Does that mean he is immature – and
therefore not respectable?  NO!  That means he is n exciting, enthusiastic
person of whom we need here.

The worst part about this complaint made by MW and WW, is that there are
many other people who have longer closings, some of them advertising for
their Bricklink shop outside of .b-s-t, some driving traffic to a web site,
some giving a useless fact, but now one ever says anything – and shouldn’t.
Here are some examples…

(picked randomly, please note.  I searched some stupid word and the top
results with a signature were chosen.  Kind of a coincidence WW’s sig came
up, huh?  Please remember, I have no problem with anyone’s signature, you
have just been used as an example to protect the free use of unique signatures.)

-Andrew
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~martinam/MartianDesign/

----------------------------------

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast

Microsoft IM: Black_Dragon_113
Email Pyrokid17@hotmail.com

----------------------------------

--Bill.

--
William R Ward bill@wards.net http://www.wards.net/~bill/

------------------------------------

-Stefan-

-------------------------------------

Just my 2 cents,
James

--------------------------------------

I do not see the sense in the argument here.  You are telling Sean that he
cannot show his unique personality in his signature, while others do it all
the time.  One of the longest I have seen here at lugnet is compliments to
you WW.  Lay off of Sean and let him post freely.

Regard,
Jeremy Scott

To Sean:

Welcome.  I have been a lurker for 1 year and a poster for 9 months.  I
welcome you here and thank you for your enthusiasm.  I encourage you to have
fun and ignore the negative comments being made by our fellow posters.  They
have no right to upset you, and on behalf of the community as a whole, we
hope their actions have not turned you off and made you think we are all bad.

~Just your neighborhood Lugnter,
Jeremy Scott

PS:  How do you all like my signatures?  I have three I use, each to
represent a different mood.  Hope I am not “bugging” or “annoying” you.  Am
I immature to say “Regards”?

In lugnet.general, Sean Devolites writes:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Sean Devolites" <hotshot3396@hotmail.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh writes:

"Sean Devolites" <hotshot3396@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Wassssssssup Everyone,

Do you need to open every post with this?  Cute once or twice - annoying
when it is on every post.
Sorry Mike, didn't know people got upset with the way I said Hi.

Hasta La Vista, Sean
P.S Not trying to be a smart alec, but saying Hasta La Vista
isn't annoying, is it?

Do you see anyone else doing it?
No, but does it hurt to be original?

I give you slack because I know you're a KFOL (Kid fan of LEGO).  But
it's probably a good idea to try to adapt yourself to the standards of
the community, if you want to be taken seriously.
OK, fine you all got me.  No more Wasssssssup.  I'll try to adapt, as I'm
obviously younger than most of you (no offense). But please don't punish me
for being original, as I've said Hasta La Vista since I've been online.  I
promise no more wasssssssssup from here out, but Hasta La Vista's stayin'.
Besides, I have to keep some originality.

--Bill.
Hasta La Vista, Sean