 General / 38284
Re: Eric Harshbarger and the Insanely Popular 3033 Basic Bulk 1200 Piece Blue Tub!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 02:58:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Jake Rentar writes:

    I had first heard of this "3033" Blue tub about 6 months ago.  I am now
14.  The blue tub never once caught my attention in any of the magazines.  I
was mainly interested in regular theme sets.  But now, after it was
discontinued, I feel somewhat left in the dust.  The set had 1200 totally
basic bricks in all the main colors for a measly $20!!!  I see 200 piece
creator buckets now for $15 at Walmart!!

<Much of body snipped>

    Hopefully some of you already saw my Lego Logo and Lego technic logo
mosaics.  Unfortunately , the pieces must be disassembled for me to build
anything else.  Just like Lego -wants- us to do...

Actually, not to disagree with you, but wouldn't it be in LEGO's best
interests if none of us ever took any of our models apart?  Hence the need
to buy more pieces?  :)

But don't get me wrong.  I feel your frustration.  When they were more
commonly available, I would buy an assorted bucket or tub a couple times a
month.  Since they've disappeared, I buy........... um.......... none a month.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have some models built now but to think
about building other models, some of the existing ones need to come apart.
I'd rather be buying more buckets/tubs to replenish and be able to have
numerous built-ups all at once, but there is so little available in store
that it's just not feasible.  :(

Why did Lego pull the plug on the blue tub anyway?

Lack of a tangible profit margin?

But if it gets kids and/or adults hooked on building, then why not think of
it as cheap advertising?  :)

Hang in there Jake.  Let's hope more buckets/tubs are on the way..... to stores!

All the best,
Allan B.