 General / 37826
Re: It's a way of life!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 03:34:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Barnes writes:
Aha!

At least the comment is about time spent as opposed to money spent ;)

My wife is pretty cool about the whole Lego thing - it's quite a bit cheaper
than my previous "habit".

I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling from this conversation because I'm in the
same boat.  My wife has changed her mind from thinking I'm having a twenty
something midlife crisis to understanding that building is a very calming
and safe "habit" for me.  Though, she does get jealous of time spent building.

Where I get in real trouble is at work - there are quite a few people there
who simply don't "understand". And the sad thing about that, from my point
of view, is that they all seem to have one thing in common - they've got no
imagination left.  >JB

I agree.  I had an office job at one time where I was seen as very eccentric
and odd (and I rather liked people thinking that).  But now, I'm in
neuroscience where I'm veiwed as a "forward, creative, outside the box"
thinker.  I think that says a lot about AFOLs.  We have retained the ability
to use our imagination and it translates into many different areas.  This is
not only an increased ability to think in new ways, but also and increased
understanding of visual-spatial concepts and problem solving abilities.
Children posess many attributes that adults let lapse.  This includes
fitness, socialization, and a host of other things.  What some would view as
a hapless longing for childhood, I see as the retention of a very fruitful mind.

Felix
http://www.lugnet.com/~94