 General / 3776
3775  |  3777
Subject:
Nostalgia and Educational Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:08:02 GMT

With all the various nostalgia coming up, one thing that came to mind
was an educational kit we used in Junior High. It was a study of the
growth of a city (Seatle WA as it turned out). A large (64x64) green
baseplate with painted on blue for the harbor and lake was the basis.
Then various colored bricks were used to "zone" the city for various
uses. I think we used grey (or black) 1xn plates to lay out railroad
lines, or maybe they were painted on also. One of the excercises was to
figure out which real city it was (I think I was the first one to figure
it out, using the rail lines - I've always been a model railroader). The
bigest thing I remember about the exercise was puting residential zones
around the lake. Several years later, when we drove cross country and
actually visited Seatle, I immediately recognized when we drove across
the lake.

Too bad the early Dacta Technic robot/control stuff didn't come out a
few years earlier. I remember seeing it in my High School after I
graduated and thinking it was neat (had it been available in the stores,
my Dark Ages probably would have ended a lot earlier...)

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com