 General / 3806
Re: Nostalgia and Educational Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:48:07 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

Speaking of nostalgic baseplates ... when I was a kid I had two large
baseplates that were green and had grey roads on them.  The roads had some
turns in them although they were not at right angles and there were three
exit points from the baseplate.  The baseplates were the same size as the
currently available large grey baseplate (64x64?).

These road plates have to be in my parents basement somewhere although each
time I go back home I am unable to find them.  They were not with the rest
of my LEGO that I had saved.  I got them in the early 70's as I recall.
Anybody recall these or know what set number they might be.  I would really
like to find these again as they were a major part of my childhood LEGO
experience.  Virtually everything I build used these two large plates as
focus point.

Mike - mike_walsh@mentorg.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh

I've got one of those as well.  I use it as my castle courtyard (in my blue
Scandanavian Castle).  I have a 1970 Samsonite LEGO dealers catalog, and it
states that this is a new 1970 item, and wasn't available for more than 2
years, so it must not have been all that popular.  I don't think this was
available in Europe, but I could be wrong.  This baseplate was only available
as an individual item (just like the grey one has always been).  This was
LEGO's first attempt to make road plates (except of course for the 1958-68 Town
Plan Boards (2 styles in cardboard and plastic - plastic only available in
Europe)).  This green 50x50 stud roadplate (as opposed to the 48x48 available
in grey today) had a road plan that looks like a combination "?" and "T".
There were no road markings, and the grey road surface had a blue-ish tint to
it.

I'll look up the item number and report back Monday.

Gary Istok