 General / 37730
Re: the LEGO Desk Pal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:30:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.general, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:

Anyone know how long they have been out?  Anyone have
any yet?  If so what is your opinion of them?  Height?  Mobility- arms,
legs, head?  Hat, hair removable?

They have been on sale at Legoland, CA for at least a month now. One MAJOR
thing the pictures do not show in the S@H catalog is that the hands have
these clear plastic full circles that IMHO ruin the entire thing. The circle
is so they can "hold" the pen/pencil. Note they do not grip the pen like a
real minifig would grip an item. It is more of "place the pencil into the
hole and if you put the wrong side down, your desk will get marks on it"
type of thing. You can kinda see the back of the full clear plastic circle
in the pic of the desk pal that is still in the box. But I personally think
it is a pretty major photoshoping job they did to remove the front part of
the clear circle.

But the arms do move just as a minifigs do. The hat/hair does not come off.
The head does come off - it twists off and you have to line up the notch to
the hole to get it off (think a bottle of medicine lining up the arrows -
but with no arrows). The legs do bend at the hip so they can sit down. The
base of the feet come off to reveal the items they store. And all of the
items that come with the desk pal do fit inside him or hang on him
(backpack) at some point. The feet are connected (meaning you can not lift
one at a time, its both or nothing). The base will fot on a duplo baseplate
(did not test it on a reg. baseplate) But it did not "click" onto the Duplo
baseplate, just sat on it.

I have been very curious about these things as I have seen them at Legoland
a few times, the last time I was there they did have one out to show people
how it works - thats how I found all this info out ;)

Overall it IS cute, but those full clear plastic circles on the hands ruin
it for me. If it was not for those I would have got all 3 of the ones
offered the day I first saw them.

Next time I go (should be next week) I will see if I can get some pics of
the dispaly model if nobody has got real-life pics by that point.

Mark P.
http://www.landofbricks.com

Thank you for all the information on the Lego desk pals.  It is impossible
to tell from the pictures any of the critical data.

I am still intrigued by them.  Certainly, one of these is as close to a
"big" minifigure as I might ever get.  The hands do sound problematic.
[hmmmm, i wonder if someone good with a dremel could rectify the situation.]

Would the Desk Pal be the right size for a child for the giant store display
minifigures?

A picture of the real thing from either you or Maggie C. would be most
appreciated.

sheree