 General / 37689
Re: Regarding praise....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 01:24:21 GMT

The fact that I have to wait several minutes, then open up AOL, then jump
through hoops in order for it to finally post something, tends to discourage
me from posting, or responding to things.

In lugnet.space, Matt Sekerak writes:
This subject was touched upon in a different thread, but it is a matter that
I wanted to drag further into the light, as it is very important to this
community and others like it.

The message is very simple:  Never, never be discouraged by a lack of praise
- or even a lack of criticism for that matter.

PLMKWYT is a common tag at the end of a post...we're all accustomed to
seeing this.  In my opinion, this acronym carries a LOT more weight than we
may think.  It is a direct invitation for input, approval, encouragement,
and judgement.  Indifference, however, can sometimes hurt more than
criticism.  No response at all, especially after asking for it directly, can
destroy the willingness to participate.  This, I would imagine, is
especially true for newcomers.  And to the newcomers I say don't even skip a
beat...if nobody responds to your MOC, who cares, build another, and post
it.  If nobody responds to that one, so what - build another, post it.  And
so on.

Perception also plays a role here.  Everyone reading (and typing) this often
chooses not to respond to a builder's request for input.  This can be
attributed to an infinite number of reasons ranging from a busy work
schedule to laziness!  But to the person looking for the response, the
perception is often, "They hate it."  That's not necessarily true.  I have
experienced both situations.  Often I will see a MOC and smile and say,
"neat," then I'll move on...this doesn't mean I want the builder to get
lost...I simply chose to move on.  I have also posted items that nobody
responded to - okay, a slight feeling of out-in-the-cold, but fleeting.  Now
I just charge ahead, building and posting - participating regardless of the
reaction.

-Matt

.