 General / 37344
    Famous planes vs. Republic Gunship —Rene Virsik
   Heya all, how is it possible that the Famous planes set (offered by LEGO S&H) is cheapper than the Republic Gunship ? The Republic Gunship is crap and it's more expansive... (22 years ago, 1-Jul-02, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Famous planes vs. Republic Gunship —Allan Bedford
     (...) The first thing that comes to my mind is: In-house design vs. having to repay licensing fees. The Star Wars license could not have come cheaply. My personal feeling is that there my be a need, from an accounting perspective, to recoup these (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jul-02, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Famous planes vs. Republic Gunship —Ken Cefaratti
     (...) While I do not think the Republic Gunship is crap.... It is probably more expensive because it is a licensed product from Lucas Films. Lego probably pays 5-15%** or more for every thing they make.. Ken **Based on information for other (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jul-02, to lugnet.general)

         Re: Famous planes vs. Republic Gunship —Martijn Zwaal
     If you look at the price of the key chains it looks like it's 33,3 % that goes to George Lucas. So one fourth of the money ends up on his account. Even if this was his only way of making money he would be rich. Martijn Zwaal "Ken Cefaratti" (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Famous planes vs. Republic Gunship —Richie Dulin
   (...) No doubt the licence fees have something to do with it, but also: It is likely that the Famous Planes set is able to be offered more cheaply because the costs of sales and distribution are considerably lower when offered directly rather than (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.general)