 General / 37345
Re: Famous planes vs. Republic Gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:49:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rene Virsik writes:
Heya all,

how is it possible that the Famous planes set (offered by LEGO S&H) is
cheapper than the Republic Gunship ? The Republic Gunship is crap and it's
more expansive...

The first thing that comes to my mind is:

In-house design vs. having to repay licensing fees.

The Star Wars license could not have come cheaply.  My personal feeling is
that there my be a need, from an accounting perspective, to recoup these
fees through higher priced kits.  The planes (of which the Red Baron is an
incredible design and well-priced) represent old-style LEGO sets; that is
ones designed by the company without external connections.  There are no
fancy fees or lawyers to pay for when it comes to sets like that.  The Santa
Fe locomotive is another similar example.

[Slightly off-topic follow-up comment]

Of course, I also feel that the way in which LEGO has handled licensing is
completely backwards to the way they should be doing it.  The LEGO company
should be licensing their products and brands out to other companies, not
the other way around.  In the same way that there was a Barbie and Hot
Wheels computer, there could have been a LEGO branded one.  They should be
allowing 3rd party developers to license their name for software
development, not doing it themselves.  They should look for ways in which to
have their own brand name make them money, rather than cost them money.
That is the way companies get rich and build a brand identity.  Just ask
George Lucas.  :)

[End of comment]

Just my feelings on the subject.

All the best,