 General / 37025
Re: most popular sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:51:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim David writes:
I was having a look at the statistics based on the set references. Nearly
all the sets owned by the most people are starwars, the first non-starwars
set is about 18th. Obviously this list could be biased by the fact that the
people buying starwars are the ones that fill the information in but
interesting never the less.
tim

Probably a few things:

- I know some people just don't have good records of their sets-- hence
they'll fill in sets they buy as they buy them, but don't retro-fill sets
they've bought in the past. Hence, bonus points for current themes.

- Star Wars stuff is really useful for just about anything. Unlike many
other Lego themes, the parts are good for trains, castle, space, town,
technic, etc. Lots of generic, but useful parts. Also a generally good price
per piece count.

- The Star Wars line is one of the largest for its lifespan. 62 sets in 4
years. I think that's probably a theme record (heck, it *almost* beats out
the pirate line, and that ran for 9 years). So there's a lot *to* own.

- It's a long-lived theme for today's market. Lots of themes get released
once, then they're done. They still sell in stores and appear in catalogs
for 3 years, but after that they're no longer considered part of the lineup.
So people who got into Lego now might find it harder to collect Knight's
Kingdom or Arctic sets, but could still readily find SW sets.

- Lots of AFOLs were once Star Wars fans as kids, and for some, it's what
brought them back into Lego building. So it's got plenty of appeal as a line
in and of itself, and being recent, lots of AFOLs still have a chance to buy
them by the boatload, versus other themes (particularly older ones) which
aren't necessarily as available.

DaveE

One other point is the amount of sets that were packaged in well priced
combo packs that subsequently were discounted. I mean I would not own 7
7150's if I didn't get them for less than $25.00 CDN each.

Jude