 General / 36150
Re: Suggestion for Cool Lego Site of the Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:25:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Wilson writes:
I've followed a few discussions lately about the demise of CLSOTW (one of my
favorite features of LUGNET before it fell into disarray).  It seems to me
the "problem" in re-doing it was that Todd felt he had to exert some manual
control over the voting, so that the ballot box couldn't be stuffed.  I feel
that if we put our heads together, we can come up with a workable solution
that doesn't require too much of the administrator's time.

Same here! I always enjoyed ogging onto LUGNET and checking out the CLSOTW,
(it was, by far, my favorite feature of Lugnet.)
I think a judge or part time admin of Lugnet should be emplyued in this.
They can be at work, and come back to discuss votes and nominations with the
ADMIN,
that way, the main Lugnet admin won't have their hands full with the
ballots. Seems like a plausable idea.

What I suggest is this (in rough draft form):
1) Instead of taking nominations and then voting, the process would simply
be done by nomination via e-mail.  Or, another way to think about it is that
it's always a write-in vote.

Yeah. Email votes are always more credible. You never can know with a ballot
box. Sometimes the results are botches (i.e. the same person votes a hundred
times for the same site, etc.)

2) The vote e-mails would follow a specific format.  I suggest the subject
line begins with "[CLSOTW]" followed by the URL of the web site.  The body
of the message would contain contact information for the "owner" of the website.

We need format, badly! The worst thing an ADMIN or overseer could want is a
two paragraph, out of format noimination. Keep in simple, that's my philospohy.

3) We would keep the old system of once nominated, a site remains on the
votes list.  Something like each week the top cumulative vote-getter is the
CLSOTW, and all other votes roll over to the next week.  Winners are
responsible for writing their own "blurb" for the web page.

Gotta have ab edge on that. I think this will give every site nominated an
equal chance to become a CLSOTW. (isn't that what everybody wants, a fair
system)

4) Only one vote per e-mail address.  Perhaps we could set up some kind of
registration process for voting, to discourage voting more than once.  Maybe
limit to LUGNET members (I guess I'd have to join...) (Suggestions VERY
welcome here)

A limit to Lugnet members would probably put a construction on the voting
process (although it would be more secure), but a lot of the people that
vote "lurk" on Lugnet. The real fans may actualy outnumber members!
Registration as a voter would be the best process. Fans and Lugnet members
would both be able to vote in a secure manner.

5) If anyone objects to using the name Cool Lego Site of the Week, a
suitable replacement name will be chosen by the LUGNET community.  How about
Nifty ABS Building Block Web Page of the Half-Fortnight?!

NABSBBWPOTHF?!
Hmm...suitable enough! I've had quite a few suggestions myself!
Here's a few:
Weekly Lugnet Model Feature WLMF
Model Page of the Week MPOW
Most innovative set page of the month MIS-POTM
The most insanely awesome model page of the week but we can't call it CLSOTW
because a group of Lugnetters disagree with the topic, but we'll have to
deal with it.
TMIAMPOTWBWCCICLSOTWBAGOLDWIIBWHTDWI :) (a bit long, eh?!)

6) If weekly updates prove to be too cumbersome, the process could become
a two-week or half-monthly processs.

Biweekly is fine, although that would defeat the purpose of Page of the WEEK,
but then, you could always call it Cool set of the Half Month, or something
similar to that.

Anyway, that's my start at it.  I figure, with a smart e-mail program, much
of the vote-counting could be automated.  Of course, I haven't tried it, so
it may be immensely difficult.  And before anyone gets snippy, yes, I'll
volunteer to administer this, provided I can find the _free_ web space and
POP3 e-mail service to run it.

I welcome your constructive suggestions.  I have not intended to step on
anyone's toes, and if this process is already in the works beyond the "we're
going to fix it" stages, the so much the better.

Well, I for one have enough free time as it is, so I'll go ahead and
volunteer for this too. Two hours a day is enough to taly up votes, etc.
(anyway, I'm no AFOL, but it doesn't matter, cuz I probably have more free
time than the ADMIN!)

Just my two Brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet member No. 1112 (and FOL)